Overcoming “Furlough Daze”
Furlough Days | The Hook: Play School
- Read, read, read – My kids know they are expected to read a minimum of 20 minutes a day. On Furlough Days I increase the time to 30 minutes and put on the timer (ah…. the silence is bliss!) Afterward, you can have your child write a journal, draw a picture of a main character, or design a poster of the “movie version.”
- Visit the library and “check out” some books or educational videos!
- Computer learning – There are lots of great online sites for kids to explore while learning. Try PBS Kids, National Geographic Kids, or your favorite museum web sites for more ideas.
- PE – Skip the gym and go to the park! While your kids get their ya-ya’s out, you can get in a little cardio or strength training in the process.
- Field trip – OK, this one won’t actually help you get any work done, but it does make maximum advantage of taking a day off from work and spending it with your kids. “Field trips” are a great an opportunity to learn more about your child’s interests and help them make connections to what they are learning in school. Pick a museum to explore. Avoid crowds. Have fun!
- Extra credit – Find out what your child does in class for extra-credit/enrichment and ask your teacher to suggest resources or visit stores like Barnes and Noble, Target and Costco to find workbooks that can reinforce your child’s academic skills.
In the meantime… how do you maximize fun AND learning on furlough days while keeping your sanity? Please share your ideas in the comments below. About SFPSMOM.